Fort Wayne Burglary Attorney
Experienced Defense Against Burglary Charges in Indiana
Burglary is a very serious crime in Indiana, and the state punishes it as such. The consequences of a conviction can be life-altering. At Arnold Terrill Ridenour, P.C., our Fort Wayne burglary attorneys are here to protect your rights and fight for your freedom.
What is Burglary?
Burglary is defined under Indiana law as the unlawful entry into a building, structure, or dwelling with the intention to commit theft, a felony, or a sexual offense. It's important to note that the act of breaking and entering itself constitutes a separate offense, even if no theft or other criminal activity occurs inside the premises. This means that you can be charged with burglary even if you didn't actually steal anything.
What are the Penalties for Burglary in Indiana?
In the state of Indiana, burglary is considered a felony. If found guilty, an individual can be charged with a Level 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 felony, with Level 1 being considered the most serious; the level of felony will depend on various elements of the particular circumstances of the case. The penalties for burglary convictions in Indiana are very harsh and can have a lasting impact on your life. If you are found guilty of burglary, you may face:
- Prison Time: Depending on the degree of burglary, you could be sentenced to significant prison time.
- Fines: Convictions often come with hefty fines that can burden you financially.
- Criminal Record: A burglary conviction will result in a permanent criminal record, making it challenging to secure employment, housing, or loans in the future.
- Loss of Civil Rights: Certain civil rights, like the right to vote and possess firearms, may be restricted or lost entirely as a result of a burglary conviction.
- Probation and Parole: In some cases, you may be subject to probation or parole, which can be restrictive and include regular check-ins with a probation or parole officer.
- Restitution: You may be requested to pay restitution to the victim for any damages or losses incurred during the burglary.
Defenses Against Burglary Charges
Facing burglary charges can be daunting, but there are several potential defenses that can be explored on your behalf:
- Lack of Intent: Proving that you did not have the intent to commit a crime when entering the premises can be a strong defense.
- Mistaken Identity: If there is doubt about your identity as the perpetrator, it may be possible to challenge the accuracy of witness testimony or evidence.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If law enforcement violated your Fourth Amendment rights by conducting an unlawful search or seizure, evidence obtained during such actions may be suppressed in court.
- Alibi: Providing a credible alibi can establish that you were not present at the scene of the alleged burglary.
- Duress or Necessity: If you were forced to commit the burglary due to threats or circumstances beyond your control, it may be possible to argue duress or necessity as a defense.
Contact Our Burglary Lawyer in Fort Wayne Today
Don't face the complex and challenging legal system on your own. Contact our Fort Wayne burglary attorney today for a consultation. We will review the details of your case, explain your rights, and develop a strategic defense tailored to your situation. Protect your future by putting our experience and dedication to work for you. Call Arnold Terrill Ridenour, P.C., to schedule your consultation and take the first step toward securing your freedom.
Contact Arnold Terrill Ridenour, P.C. today to get started with our Fort Wayne burglary attorney.
They have both gone above and beyond for my family. I love the staff that I have worked with on our cases as well. Highly recommend!- Martha
Mr. Arnold has provided legal advice and guidance during a difficult situation of mine. I found him to be experienced, responsive, knowledgeable, and honest. While working with Mr. Arnold, I felt as though my situation was in adept and trustworthy hands.- Brendan
They have earned my trust as far as having many years of experience at their jobs and within the court system.- Nick
They will always communicate each step of the process and help you navigate a difficult situation.- Marcie
Professional and friendly through every step. The secretary was very kind and helpful. She stayed In touch and kept me updated through every step.- Kane
On two occasions, I had the good sense to call Bart after receiving a ticket. Bart handled everything perfectly all while billing me a figure much, much less than most local attorneys.- Kerry
He will be honest and tell you upfront exactly what to do and how the cards will be dealt and how you're going to play your hand.- Nina
I was represented by Sean Arata on an infraction and could not have hoped for a better outcome.- Bridget
Our firm has built a great reputation due to our proven track record of success in complex cases.
Our legal team will provide a vigorous defense regardless of the severity of the charge.
We understand that time is of the essence. We are available 24/7 and offer free consultations.
At Arnold Terrill Ridenour, P.C., our attorneys have a combined 75 years of legal experience.