Fort Wayne Robbery Attorney
Defending Those Who Have Been Accused of Robbery in Indiana
Robbery is a criminal offense that involves the taking of property from another person by force or fear. It is a felony in the state of Indiana, which means that you could face serious penalties if you are convicted. At Arnold Terrill Ridenour, P.C., our Fort Wayne robbery defense lawyers have over 75 years of combined legal experience, and we are prepared to fight for you.
What is Robbery?
Robbery is a serious criminal offense in Indiana and is defined as the unlawful taking of someone else's property or possessions by force, threat, or intimidation. In simpler terms, it involves using force or the threat of force to steal another person's belongings. Robbery is considered a violent crime because it involves a direct confrontation between the perpetrator and the victim.
Various elements must be proven for a robbery charge to stand. These elements include:
- Taking Property: The defendant must have taken property or possessions from another person or their immediate presence.
- Intent: The defendant must have had the intention to deprive the victim of their property.
- Use of Force or Threat: Robbery involves the use of force, the threat of force, or intimidation to take the property. This element distinguishes robbery from other theft-related offenses.
What Are the Penalties for Robbery in Indiana?
Robbery is classified as a felony offense in the state of Indiana. The penalties for robbery can be severe, and they depend on the degree of the offense and aggravating factors. Generally, robbery is categorized into three degrees:
- Level 5 Felony, which is punishable by 1 to 6 years in prison and fines of $10,000
- Level 3 Felony, which is punishable by 3 to 16 years in prison and fines of $10,000
- Level 2 Felony, which is punishable by 10 to 30 years in prison and fines of $10,000
In addition to potential imprisonment and fines, a robbery conviction can have long-lasting consequences on your life, including a criminal record that can affect future employment and housing opportunities.
Defenses Against Robbery Charges
Some common defenses against robbery charges may include:
- Mistaken Identity: If there is doubt about your identity as the perpetrator, we will work to establish that you were not the person responsible for the crime.
- Lack of Intent: If there is insufficient evidence to prove that you had the intent to permanently deprive the victim of their property, we can argue that the elements of robbery are not met.
- False Accusations: We can investigate whether false accusations or bias played a role in your arrest and build a defense to challenge the credibility of the accuser.
- Use of Force: If the force used during the alleged robbery was reasonable or in self-defense, we can present evidence to support your actions.
Contact Our Robbery Lawyer in Fort Wayne Today
The consequences of a robbery conviction can be life-altering, and having a skilled Fort Wayne robbery attorney on your side can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. At Arnold Terrill Ridenour, P.C., we are committed to delivering you with aggressive and effective legal representation, working tirelessly to secure the best possible outcome for your case. Your future is too important to leave to chance – trust us to fight for your rights and protect your freedom.
Contact Arnold Terrill Ridenour, P.C. today to get started with our Fort Wayne attorney.
They have both gone above and beyond for my family. I love the staff that I have worked with on our cases as well. Highly recommend!- Martha
Mr. Arnold has provided legal advice and guidance during a difficult situation of mine. I found him to be experienced, responsive, knowledgeable, and honest. While working with Mr. Arnold, I felt as though my situation was in adept and trustworthy hands.- Brendan
They have earned my trust as far as having many years of experience at their jobs and within the court system.- Nick
They will always communicate each step of the process and help you navigate a difficult situation.- Marcie
Professional and friendly through every step. The secretary was very kind and helpful. She stayed In touch and kept me updated through every step.- Kane
On two occasions, I had the good sense to call Bart after receiving a ticket. Bart handled everything perfectly all while billing me a figure much, much less than most local attorneys.- Kerry
He will be honest and tell you upfront exactly what to do and how the cards will be dealt and how you're going to play your hand.- Nina
I was represented by Sean Arata on an infraction and could not have hoped for a better outcome.- Bridget
Our firm has built a great reputation due to our proven track record of success in complex cases.
Our legal team will provide a vigorous defense regardless of the severity of the charge.
We understand that time is of the essence. We are available 24/7 and offer free consultations.
At Arnold Terrill Ridenour, P.C., our attorneys have a combined 75 years of legal experience.