What Constitutes As Driving Under the Influence for Underage Drivers?
Since underage drinkers cause a considerable amount of alcohol-related motor vehicle accidents and fatalities, the laws and consequences are more severe. A driver under 21 can be cited for a underage DUI if a chemical test detects that he/she has a BAC of .02% or higher. Not only will a conviction result in license suspension and fines, but it could potentially cause irreparable damage to their reputation.
The underage DUI penalties are the following:
- License suspension of up to one year
- Fines up to $500
Second offense (within five years)
- Minimum prison sentence of five days, up to three years maximum
- License suspension up to two years
- Fines up to $1,000
Other charges associated with underage DUI:
- Minor in possession of alcohol
- Soliciting alcohol
- Distributing alcohol to other minors (if there are underage passengers involved)
- Child endangerment law violations
- Moving and vehicle maintenance violations
- Possession of false identification (if a fake ID was used to purchase alcohol)
At Arnold Terrill Ridenour, P.C., we are knowledgeable in how to defend underage DUI cases since we have acquired more than 50 years of combined experience defending the rights of our clients. Our Fort Wayne DUI attorneys believe everyone deserves a chance at seeking justice.
Underage DUI Defense Strategies
Because most young drivers under the age of 21 have yet to earn their college degree or establish themselves in their respective careers, a DUI conviction can disrupt your future goals. When applying for student loans, jobs, housing, or even enlist in the military, you may encounter complications due to your conviction. Our committed firm is prepared to protect your rights and future by administering a number of defense strategies.
These DUI defense strategies include:
Comprehensive review of the facts
- Did the arresting officer have probable cause to pull you over?
- Were your rights violated in any way during the arrest?
Assessing your overall legal record
- Was this your first offense?
- Have you had any issues with the law in the past?
- Do you possess a clean driving record?
We’re Available 24/7
Over the years, we have developed an excellent track record of satisfied clients due to our dedication and aggression. We make ourselves available every day of the week because you never know when an emergency occurs or if you have any questions/concerns answered to put your mind at ease.
Set up an appointment for a complimentary consultation today with our Fort Wayne DUI firm!